Bakin’ up a storm this weekend? Why not try out makin’ our Scottish Raspberry 5th Birthday cake?
Created by Lucy May.
Alrighty, you’ll need:
225g butter (room temp)
225g caster sugar
4 x free-range large eggs
225g self-raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tub (450g) Scottish Raspberry Yoghurt
900g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter, room temp
1stp vanilla extract
1 tub (450g) The Collective Vanilla Bean yoghurt
6 tablespoons of seedless raspberry jam
A couple of drops of red colouring
Now you just need to:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- One by one, beat in the eggs on high speed (hand held whisk)
- Add vanilla extract and beat for 5-10 seconds till mixed
- Sift in the flour and slowly fold into batter, mix on low speed for no longer than 30 seconds
- Fold in the yoghurt until well combined
- Split mixture equally into 2 sandwich tins
- Bake for approx. 18-22 mins until golden brown on top and springy to touch
- Once cooked, leave the sponge to cool fully
- Now for the yoghurt buttercream, whisk together butter, mascarpone, yoghurt and vanilla extract on medium speed until well combined
- Gradually add in the icing sugar until consistency is as you like it (can be a bit runnier for cupcakes but will need to be firm for icing a cake).
- Spread the jam onto one cake and sandwich the cakes together.
- Generously ice the cake with the yoghurt icing.
- Dig in!